10 Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew
- I am a child.
- My senses are out of sync.
- Distinguish between won’t (I choose not to) and can’t (I am not able to).
- I’m a concrete thinker. I interpret language literally.
- Listen to all the ways I’m trying to communicate.
- Picture this! I’m visually oriented.
- Focus and build on what I can do rather than what I can’t do.
- Help me with social interactions.
- Identify what triggers my meltdowns.
- Love me unconditionally.
(Taken from the Book by Ellen Notbohm – “10 Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew: Updated and Expanded Edition”, 1 October 2012, Future Horizons, Inc. ISBN: 9781935274650)